Jody S. Kline joined Miller, Miller & Canby in 1974, has been a principal of the firm since 1981 and has served as head of the Land Development practice area since that time.
Jody’s practice concentrates on land use, zoning, subdivision and planning law in Montgomery County and the municipalities within the county. He has represented clients in many of the County’s planning and economic development initiatives. His areas of expertise include zoning, special exceptions, conditional uses, building variances, sign variances, subdivision, master planning, building permit issuance, and administrative and real estate matters related to land development. He represents private clients, non-profit entities and municipal corporations and agencies.
He has qualified and testified in the U.S. District Court for Maryland and Circuit Court for Montgomery County as an expert in land use and zoning law, and he has been a guest speaker at numerous professional seminars and conferences.
Jody is a member of the Bar Association of Montgomery County and the Maryland State Bar Association. On the former, he has served as Secretary, a member of the Executive Committee, Chairman of the Administrative Law Section and as member of various other committees. Related to his practice areas, Jody is a member of the Urban Land Institute, the American Planning Association and the Maryland National Capital Building Industry Association. He has been featured as a “Top Lawyer” in both Washingtonian Magazine and Bethesda Magazine, and has also been named a Super Lawyer in the state of Maryland every year since 2008. He has also been named to the U.S. News & World Report “Best Lawyers” list for 16 consecutive years.
- Bar Association of Montgomery County (Secretary, 1980-1981)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Planning Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Maryland National Capital Building Industry Association
- Citizens’ Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation (Montgomery County)
- Ad Hoc Committee for Parking Ordinance Amendments (City of Gaithersburg)
- Citizens’ Technical Advisory Committee on Public Facilities (Montgomery County)
- Neighborhood Six Citizens’ Advisory Committee (City of Gaithersburg)
- Rockville Recreation and Parks Foundation (Board Member)
- Montgomery Parks Foundation (Board Member)
- Washington & Lee University, J.D., 1974
- Washington & Lee University, B.A., 1968
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer, Maryland, 2008 – 2022
- Featured as one of Washington’s “Top Lawyers” in Washingtonian magazine
- Featured as a Bethesda Magazine “Top Lawyer”
- Best Lawyers, every year from 2007-2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rating