James (Jamie) Roth concentrates his practice in real estate litigation with a focus in eminent domain, construction litigation, and business and commercial litigation.
In representing his clients, Jamie draws from an extensive professional background prior to becoming an attorney. He enjoyed a distinguished career spanning over twenty years in the private and public sectors with experience in project management, strategic planning, asset management and risk mitigation, including eleven years as a successful real estate consultant in federal eminent domain matters.
Jamie was a Senior Consultant for LMI Government Consulting, where he served as a Real Estate Program Manager to his client, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a component agency of the Department of Homeland Security. As an advisor to CBP, he worked closely with realty specialists from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), overseeing the real estate clearance process required for projects to construct mission-critical facilities and border security infrastructure. In that capacity, he coordinated eminent domain litigation efforts, and supported counsel from CBP, Department of Justice, and USACE. The Department of the Army awarded Jamie a civilian public service medal for his key role in effecting more than 400 property acquisitions required to construct over 600 miles of border fence by 2009.
Jamie is also a former U.S. Coast Guard officer, with decorated service including three years as a civil engineer managing the myriad facilities requirements of twenty-four USCG stations along the Gulf coast, and over five years of sea service including three years as Chief Engineer and third-in-command of a 210-foot Cutter in Miami Beach, FL.
James is admitted to practice law in the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia. In addition to his law degree from The Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law, he holds a MBA from Georgetown University, a B.S. in Civil Engineering from The United States Coast Guard Academy, and is a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).
We were delighted with Miller, Miller and Canby's representation in a condemnation action, when a portion of one of our Maryland commercial properties was taken by the State to widen a road. Jamie's professionalism, thorough communication and attention to detail put us at ease throughout the entire process, and he exceeded our expectations -- successfully negotiating compensation that nearly doubled the State's original offer. Outstanding job!
Awesome attorney! Excellent, professional, patient and friendly! I was so hopeless dealing with a holdover tenant not paying rent and trying to damage my property. Jamie Roth worked on every detail with me, from the very beginning to the end of the eviction process. He was always very calm during my storm. His knowledge and experience earned my respect and full trust. I therefore strongly recommend Mr. Roth.
Landlord, Multi-Tenant Property in Prince George's County, Maryland
Jamie served on my team as real estate program manager for 11 years with consummate integrity, professionalism and a selfless commitment to resolve complex issues, ensuring successful completion of numerous time-constrained high-profile border security infrastructure and facility construction projects. Jamie's real estate and eminent domain knowledge is noteworthy, but the key ingredient to his effectiveness is his tenacious determination and innate ability to dismantle intricate issues and distill them down to a clear, actionable gameplan. Jamie is a rare asset to have on your team, especially when the challenges are great and the stakes are high.
Loren Flossman, Director, Border Infrastructure PMO, Program Management Office, Directorate, U.S. Border Patrol, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County
- American Bar Association
- Project Management Institute
- Associate Member, Owners’ Counsel of America
- The Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2017
- Georgetown University, McDonough School of Business, MBA, 2002
- United States Coast Guard Academy, B.S., Civil Engineering, 1991
Honors and Awards
- Commander’s Award for Public Service, Department of the Army, 2009
- Two Coast Guard Achievement Medals
- Two Coast Guard Humanitarian Service Medals
- Commandant of the Coast Guard Letter of Commendation Ribbon
- Coast Guard Cutterman’s Pin (Awarded for Five Years of Honorable Sea Service in Afloat Operational Cutters)
- Widening Washington D.C.’s Beltway & I-270 for Toll Lanes in Maryland: Project Update; Posted March 3, 2020 at 5:15 pm on MM&C’s website.
- The 3 Types of Real Estate Co-ownership in Maryland: What Every Owner Should Know; Posted January 15, 2020 at 2:06 pm on MM&C’s website.
- Is Your Commercial Lease Boat Ready for a Condemnation Storm; Posted December 10, 2018 at 8:19 pm on MM&C’s website.
- January 24, 2019 – Jamie Roth paired with Charles McFarland of McFarland PLLC to co-present at ALI-CLE’s 37th annual national Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation 2019 Conference on the topic of the U.S. / Mexico Border Wall. The title of the presentation was “Run for the Border: Fence and Wall Condemnations,” and copies of the video are available for sale through ALI-CLE.
DISCLAIMER: THE CASES AND RESULTS DESCRIBED HEREIN ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF PAST RESULTS OBTAINED BY MILLER, MILLER & CANBY, AND ITS ATTORNEYS. PAST CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS. ALL CASES ARE DISTINCT AND HAVE UNIQUE FACTS, CIRCUMSTANCES AND LEGAL QUESTIONS THAT MUST BE CONSIDERED AND EVALUATED ON THEIR OWN MERIT.