David A. Lucas is an associate in the Estates & Trusts and Business & Tax practice groups, focusing his practice in Estate Planning, Trust and Estate Administration, Business, and Elder Law. Dave provides extensive estate and legacy planning, asset protection planning, retirement planning, and business planning services to individuals and businesses.
His main objective is to provide his clients with a well-crafted estate plan so they may avoid probate, protect their assets and legacies, and provide for the security of their loved ones. Dave takes a special interest in ensuring that the dreams parents have for their children and grandchildren are not lost to taxes, poor planning, or procrastination. He speaks frequently on a variety of estate planning topics to both the general public and private groups.
Dave began his legal career by serving as a Law Clerk to The Honorable Dennis M. McHugh of the Montgomery County Circuit Court in Rockville, Maryland. After his clerkship, he gained practical experience in a variety of disciplines, including civil litigation, employment law, workers’ compensation, administrative law, family law, estate planning, and business formation.
Since 2006, Dave has focused his practice on helping families preserve their financial wealth and legacies for future generations through the use of Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney, Advance Medical Directives, Living Wills, and other estate planning strategies. Dave also advises personal representatives, trustees, and beneficiaries on all phases of the probate and trust administration process. He takes pride in helping these fiduciaries move the estate administration process efficiently and cost-effectively through its various stages.
Great attorney! I highly recommend David.
David (Dave) is a consummate professional and a genuinely good person. He's always available when we're dealing with time sensitive matters, even talking by phone when he is out of town on personal matters. I can't say enough about Dave's conscientious work with my family and myself in dealing with the very complicated and sometimes emotionally sensitive issues related to estate planning. He is a true expert and always remembers the particulars of our situation; we're never a faceless client with Dave.
I can recommend David 100% without any reservation. He is precise, attentive, effective and insightful. His work was exceptionally thorough and accurate. He was patient with us as he helped us with our estate planning. He was able to make us understand the scope of our needs and the needs of our family. He was very easy to work with. The experience was actually pleasant, which was a huge relief to us.
Mary Ziomek, DDS
I've known David since 2011, and he is a very personable attorney, who is committed to his Trust & Estates clients. He is very cost-conscious, reliable, and practical. The clients I referred to him have always been quite satisfied with his work.
Regina DeMeo (Attorney)
- District of Columbia
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar Association
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2001
- The Catholic University of America (B.A., Sociology, with distinction, 1997)
Law Clerk to The Honorable Dennis M. McHugh, Montgomery County Circuit Court, Rockville, MD
Honors and Awards
- ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law (2001)
- Staff Member, The Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy (1999-2000)
- SECURE Act: How It Affects Your Estate Plan and the Beneficiaries of Your Retirement Accounts
- Three Liability Planning Tips for Business Owners
- Advance Medical Directives: You Have the Right to Decide, Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late
- New Maryland Legislation Caps Estate Tax Exemption at $5 Million Beginning January 1, 2019
- How Does Tax Reform Affect Your Estate Plan?
- Help clients prepare plans for dealing with a potential injury or illness that causes them to be unable to make their own decisions and manage their affairs, including: designating the persons(s) who will oversee their personal care, financial affairs, and health care decisions, avoiding a humiliating and costly guardianship proceeding in Court, and ensuring that their wishes for end-of-life medical treatment are followed and that heroic measures and invasive medical procedures are avoided if there is no hope of recovery.
- Assist clients to prepare a plan that allows for their spouse, children, or other beneficiaries to receive their inheritance as quickly, privately, and efficiently as possible after death.
- Help clients and their families avoid the public, costly, time-consuming, and often confusing Probate process.
- Help clients prepare a plan to ensure that a special needs child is well-cared for long after the clients have died.
- Assist clients with family-owned businesses to protect their life’s work from lawsuits, taxes, and other potential losses.
- Assist clients to reduce (or even eliminate) capital gains taxes on highly-appreciated assets.
- Work with Personal Representatives and Trustees on all aspects of Probate and estate and trust administration.
DISCLAIMER: THE CASES AND RESULTS DESCRIBED HEREIN ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF PAST RESULTS OBTAINED BY MILLER, MILLER & CANBY, AND ITS ATTORNEYS. PAST CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS. ALL CASES ARE DISTINCT AND HAVE UNIQUE FACTS, CIRCUMSTANCES AND LEGAL QUESTIONS THAT MUST BE CONSIDERED AND EVALUATED ON THEIR OWN MERIT.